Monday, June 10, 2013

E3 Day One: (Long read folks!)

So... wow... just wow.  Best E3 in years, and it's only day one.

Microsoft opened with some interesting titles, mainly Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain which seemingly appeared to be an exclusive.  While it was a good presentation, the price point of $499 got under people's skin.  Gamers tried to looked past the DRM and always online, but this made it hard to swallow...

Then Sony came out.

At first it started slow, basically going over PS3 and Vita titles.  We finally got to see the PS4 system itself, a parallelogram borrowing the sleek design of the PS2 Slim.  After the big PS4 reveal we got to look at a plethora of nice indie game titles, which is great to see them getting more love.

Then, Square came on and pretty much started what I consider the first of many killing blows on the XBoxOne:

FinalFantasy Versus XIII is now XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XIV online
Infamous SS

We get a taste of the multiplatform titles like Assassins Creed, Destiny, and Watchdogs until the big reveal of the console:

Supports used games
Cloud Gaikai with a backlog of PS3 titles
No DRM
PS Plus carryover
No need for always on internet

And the finishing blow of the price being $399.

Look, don't mistake me for a fanboy or anything but you'd have to be one very biased individual to not see that Microsoft screwed the pooch.  They took a risk, and Sony just usurped them on every turn.  I'm sure there is a market for the XB1 and its all in one app device, but gamers as a whole just want a new console and games.  Sony delivered on all counts and then some.

That crowd, I just can't get over that crowd.  I still have some concerns, like if the Phantom Pain is coming to PS4.  It's cool that Metal Gear has been going multiplat, but all this has nailed my pass for the Xbox One.  I like my 360, and my PS3 gen1 is on its last leg so I'm definately going for a PS4 when I get the first chance.  I almost went into a coma assuming that Mad Max trailer which I mistook for Fallout 4.  This is why I'm so passionate about my profession, gaming has been in my lifestyle for years and even though people give me so much shit due to my current social status, those people mean nothing to me compared to something that's always been there when I'm feeling down.  The gaming community is a very strong and vital part of it's heritage, you need to keep them happy.  Microsoft reminds me of the kind of corporation that pretty much could care less about the consumer and see us as spend happy idiots when it comes to new tech.   Look, we're not flipping Apple consumers ok?

Well, a couple more days and we get to hear Nintendo Direct's announcement (New Smash Bros.) and maybe see if they're getting third party love instead of Lego versions of popular franchises.  

In closing, SONY TAKE MY MONEY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment