Sunday, March 30, 2014

Almost done

Okay, here's the update:

I spent most of the day figuring out how to publish this app.  Didn't realize the red tape that needed to be cut to get to this point.  I have my Google Play account made, downloaded the Android SDK on this machine, and now I'll have to create a key to sign the APK.

It's late in the day for me, so I'll continue this Monday after work.  Once that is done, I need to figure out how I can get Google adsense on the app so I can make it free.  Being my first commercial app I'm a bit exhausted dealing with every little roadblock, while I understand that it's work It should be easier after the first try.

---------------------

On a different note, I'm seriously considering moving into another platform.  Right now the two big giants in indie game engines are Game Maker Studio and Unity.  Right now I'm doing this solo, as much as the appeal of Unity sounds, its more for 3D projects despite the 2D tools they just added.  I've been reading that Game Maker has exports for purchase that supposedly does the work for you rather then relying on 3rd party exporters and fine tunings... but I have yet to see that for myself.  Unity offers more flexibility in which comes with a far steeper learning curve and more expensive for versions that export.  Though I see them as more of a console game maker than a mobile one.

Needless to say, while I admire my time spent using Construct 2, it's just not cut out for commercial games if all there exports revolve around barely-known 3rd party exporters and distributors.  I mean people I asked hardly ever heard of Tizen or Kongregate but totally know about Steam.  Some of us did buy C2 with the intent on some kind of profit, but there's just too much hurdles to jump over.  It's a good learning tool but if you plan on earning some extra income but don't want to deal with the headaches of 3rd party support and last minute coding for app submission your time is better spent elsewhere.

I'm hoping Baxter's Pocket Venture will earn me just enough capital to purchase the other game engine of choice and start over with another franchise.  I can still use C2 for the last 3 Baxter games I have planned but the thought of dealing with the time consuming 3rd party exporting and submitting makes me nauseous.



Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment